whos.who.page

Rev Father Gerard O’Brien

Born in Limerick in the South-West of Ireland in 1937, Father Gerry, (one of eleven children, had five brothers and five sisters, three of whom now live in America and three in England).

He entered Carlow Seminary in 1958 electing to serve in the diocese of Southwark and in 1964, began his priesthood in St. George’s Cathedral, Lambeth.  In 1975, Fr. Gerry moved to St Edmund’s in Beckenham and then returned in 1981 “from semi-detached suburbia back to the inner city at St James’, Peckham, where, as in Lambeth, he recalls “a strong sense of community, most evident at Sunday Mass”.

On 2nd October, 1991, Fr. Gerry made a final move to become Parish priest at St Agatha’s in Kingston and has remained here for the last 18 years.

Rev. Robert Beresford

Bob was a Methodist minister and he and his wife Jane were missionaries in Ghana from 1961.  On returning to England in 1973, Bob became a Catholic and was received into the church that year, Jane the following year.  He was ordained deacon in the Southwark diocese at St Matthew’s, West Norwood, by Bishop Henderson in 1982.  From 1975 to 1998 he was secretary of the Bishops’ Conference Committee for International Justice and Peace.  Bob and Jane moved to St Agatha’s Parish in 2003.